Sunday, April 17, 2011

Matty Dee's top 5 'gone too soon' series

5.Kath and Kim US. Now normally I wouldn't be recommending an American adaptation, but Molly Shannon and Selma Blair. Need I say more!  Based on the Aussie hit of the same name,  I think it was just ahead of it's time.  Or Americans really are that stupid.  Spoiled Kim moves back with airhead mum Kath after she realizes that now being a wife, you must ask your husband how he is occasionally.  However both the U.S. and Aussie versions bust my buttons!

4.Freaks and Geeks. Starring the yet to be famous James Franco, Jason Segal, Seth Rogan, and Linda Cardellini, in this coming of age comedy/drama set in the 80's. The show basically deals with your normal teen stuff, drinking at a party your not supose to be having while your rents are outta town, the overbearing hippie guidance councilor, getting good grAdes so your dad doesn't enlist you to the army when your 18, you know normal stuff.  With loads of recognizable guest stars, the show was cancelled after only airing 12 of the 18 episodes produced. Yet another of NBC's casualties. Plus props to Busy Phillips*!!

3. Demons. This UK gem slipped through the cracks until recently. My friend Lee loves to nerd out with me about British nonsense and she suggested this series for me.  The plot revolves around the last Van Helsing, a very hot brunette boy, by the name of Sam. He is joined by his deceased fathers partner, an 40something cynic, A blind concert pianist, Mina Harker, and plucky sidekick/unrequited love Ruby.  Now being a british series their seasons of episodes are considerably shorter than our gluttonous north american 24 epi's and so we only get 6 episodes. BOO MUTHERFUCKING UNRS!  This series ends with a cliffhanger, never to be heard from again. What a shame, Now we'll never know what kind of affect the blood had on Mina!  All though on second thought it did at least wrap the series off fairly nicely...

2. Clone High, is set in a high school that is secretly being run as an elaborate military experiment orchestrated by a government  office called the Secret Board of Shadowy Figures. The school is entirely populated by clones of famous historical figures that have been created and raised with the intent of having their various strengths and abilities harnessed by the United States military... So funny and satirical, It's got voices like Nicole Sullivan (Mad tv, stoopid!) as Joan, who has an obsessive crush on her best friend Abe (Will Forte, Holla!), and Christa Miller!  Adult cartoons, is there anything better? well  I can think of a few things, but that's not important.   


This was a tough choice, the number two spot, it was actually tied with NBC's Miss Match. Starring Alicia Silverstone, David Conrad (Jim from Ghost Whisperer), Jodi Long (All American Girl, Margaret Cho, also cancelled after one bloody season. And incidentally Margaret is now on Drop Dead Diva playing a legal secretary, which Jodi plays on Miss Match, Jodi played her mom) and several special guest apperances by my favorite Charisma Carpenter!  Think Clueless without Dionne and if Cher was smart.  18 episodes of romantic comedy gold.  Now that's basically the last time I saw Alicia...as if!




1.Eastwick. Loosely based on the novel The Witches of Eastwick it stars Rebecca Romijn, Lindsey 'can't catch a break' Price, Canadian Paul Gross, Sara Rue, Veronica Cartwright, with special hilarious appearances by Cybil Shepard, Blaine from Glee and my favorite Arquette, Rosanna.  Abc did this one very wrong! Not that I'm surprised (Pushing Daisies, Power Ranger reruns spring to mind) Abc has a less than stellar track record for follow threw and respect.  I work nights and literally woke up to watch this show. I thought finally a Charmed replacement, granted it took the magic slower and was more adult, than Charmed, oh and no Shannen Doherty! The show was gaining steam with every new episode.  So when it ended on a spectacular cliffhanger, I was literally beside myself.  Two menz coming back from the dead, a creepy demon possessed kid, and the ladies finally embracing their powers (and might I say some of the coolest powers since freezing time, like hypnosis of men!), it was shaping up to be a pretty good season two.  Initially I had some problems with it, which is probably what did it in, but having just recently re-watched the entire 13 epi's I was not disappointed once. I just found myself wanting to write yet another letter writing campaign.  Ok, well maybe with the third witch Jamie Ray Newman, still has to work for my praise. There's just something about her I don't like. I didn't like it on Eureka I don't like it on this, but I cant figure out what it is.  Maybe you know what I'm talking about, that thing on her face...don't tell me I'm the only one that's noticed that thing... There's just something about saving the world with my telekinesis that is utterly irresistible, hopeless, and romantic!

No comments:

Post a Comment